This starter is for those who like a little zing. The garlic sauce which coats the deep-fried vegetable balls makes a tantalizing starter or can even be served to make a snack.
- Preparation Time: 15 mins.
- Cooking Time: 10 mins.
- Makes 2 servings.
For The Vegetable Balls
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated cauliflower
- 1/2 cup finely chopped french beans
- 1 tsp oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder to taste
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- oil for deep-frying
For The Hot Garlic Sauce
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions whites
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens
- 1 1/2 tbsp schezuan sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cornflour
- salt to taste
For the vegetable balls
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the carrots, cauliflower and french beans and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the vegetables are tender.
- Add the salt, pepper powder and cornflour, switch off the flame and mix well. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into a round ball.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry, a few balls at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
For the hot garlic sauce
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic, ginger and green chillies and saute on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Add the spring onion whites and saute on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Add the spring onion greens, schezuan sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, cornflour, salt and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
How to serve
- Just before serving, place the vegetable balls on a serving plate, and top it with hot garlic sauce.
- Serve immediately.